Saturday, February 4, 2012

Daily Challenges--Trying to Figure it All Out

I've spent a lot of time thinking about ways to organize my life in order to better serve my wife. I've taken on some of the chores even though she hasn't necessarily assigned them to me. I've asked her on more than one occasion to let me know what I can do for her in order to make her life easier.  For years, even before realizing my need to submit to her, I have done things like grocery shopping. But it has only been in the last several months that I've come to see this as an act of submission to my my wife. She hates grocery shopping so I'm glad I can do this for her. I try to be thrifty with my shopping and always try to stick to the list, although she has never fussed at me or otherwise admonished me for straying from the list. I also try to take our child with me as often as possible just to give her a break.

I did so today and returned to discover she had vacuumed the entire house. I've often wondered why she just doesn't tell me to do those things. But perhaps she finds doing some work around the house to be therapeutic. Anyone else out there have similar experiences? Anyway, my job has allowed her to stay home for the past several years. I think there may be some feelings of guilt on her part about letting or otherwise telling me to do more around the house knowing I've worked hard all day, which not only meets our financial needs, but also allows her to stay home. I've often encouraged her to get over that and just "play along." But still, she manages to get much of the housework in herself.

Another thing I've been trying to do to assume more responsibility around the house is to organize my schedule in such a way that she can go to the gym each day and workout. My job allows me some flexibility in my schedule and my own workout schedule so I am able to do this. I also try to make it a point to always get dishes from the sink to the dishwasher, keep the dishwasher empty, wipe down counters, stove top, microwave, etc., before she has a chance to do it herself. My thinking here again is submission and service, trying to make her life easier since she spends her days at home raising our little one while I'm away at work getting "adult interaction" as she sometimes puts it. I also try to find ways to give her as much free time as possible where she can get away and get some "adult interaction" minus the little one.

All this being said, I still have the list she gave me earlier this week to work on. One item which she wanted to see done by today may be delayed due to technical difficulties. She is aware of and understands this but it will not change the fact that there will be no "release" until said list is finished. That being said, I better quit writing and get to back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment